Saturday, October 8, 2011

Coffee Group cake

My coffee group is my ante natal group. We met about 5 and half years ago now and have been meeting every week since about a month or two after our first babies were born. We are proud of our achievement as we know that lots of groups stop meeting after time or have some serious issues. We are truly now friends first, who happen to have kids at the same age. We have some similar ideas and likes, one being baking. It is a lot of healthy competition on the baking front. It really makes us look for and time new recipe's all the time. So the other day it was going to be my turn to host and it had been a while since I tried anything new. There are loads of lemons at the moment and we had been given a huge bag of them and they just needed to be used. So while I did find a great looking chocolate thingee, I also found a yummy sounding lemon thing. It was pretty yummy but my gosh the baking time was so so so wrong!!!!!! I had two pieces. One at the wrong baking time, it was rather runny, but still quite yummy. Then when it was cooked one of the girls and I had another piece. Again yummy, but very different tasting. And it had cranberries in it, I thought that they would be a bit tart, but the cooking sweetens them or something because they really went well with the lemon. I have made it again today, still yummy, but I want to try and work out how to cook it quicker and I think I will double the lemon mixture. I might to that with lemon meringue pie too.
Lemon Cranberry Slice.
Base:
1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
3/4 cups of caster sugar
200 grams of butter.
Mix all together. Bake at 180 degree for about 20 - 25 mins. I put mine into a large cake tin, I like the base quite thick.
Topping:
3 eggs
1 cup of caster sugar
zest of 3 lemons
juice of one lemon
3 tablespoons plain flour
100 grams of cranberries, I used dried.
Beat eggs and sugar for about 10 mins.It should be thick and pale. Add the remanding ingredient's. Sprinkle the cranberries on the cook base evenly.
Bake in oven at 140 degrees, the recipe said about 40 mins, I have for about an hour, really check it. It feels firm at 40 mins, but once I cut it, it was still very runny.
So tonight we are going to be having it with ice-cream as a pudding. More rugby tonight!!!! Loving the World Cup!!!!
Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment